Ugh. I know I didn’t post any tutorial yesterday. I took the day off of work because…I wanted to. Who doesn’t like to take a day off? I figured I had FOUR FULL DAYS to finish up my “art project” and all the remaining decorations I’m working on for the art party. Wrong. It was a weekend of sickness. Ryan nicely passed along the Spanish Influenza, aka, his cold (I’ve been watching A LOT of Downton Abbey. You guys, I would have bet my life that Cora was a goner). Add that to blog design and utter, utter craft failure. FAILURE!
This is the overall sentiment for the weekend:
Don’t I look beaten down and sad? (Side note – Ryan HATES this picture of me as he says I look so “negative.” Exactly…)
First – my Yudu hates me. Apparently. My art project came to a screeching halt when I couldn’t get the ding dang image to burn onto the silk screen. I realize that if you’ve never done silk screening, this makes little to no sense to you. The worst part (besides the deflating feeling one gets from utter defeat) is that it’s because of the supplies I used. You see, Yudu sells their own supplies from paint to [all sorts of stuff]. I worked around one very expensive aspect (emulsions) and it’s been great. I figured I’d give another aspect (transparencies) a generic try as well. Nope. They don’t work. And I tell you that without any reservation. I know because I tried a million (five) different variations. I won’t even go into it because it is too painful to relive. So, when I looked up online why on earth it was hating me so much, it (the internet, not the Yudu) told me something about light coming through other transparencies and blah, blah, blah, they’re not as good, blah, blah, blah, you should just spend the money on the Yudu ones. GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! So, I’ve ordered the EXPENSIVE transparencies (which I will now treat as gold leaf) and will give it another go. If it doesn’t work, I’m going to take a hammer to it. This time, I mean the Yudu.
Second – balloons hate me. As part of the decorations, I’m making some of those string ball thingies. This time, I tried to drudge the string through the glue to see if it would work better. It was messier and I don’t think it would become as sturdy as it did when I brushed the glue on. Honestly, I don’t know, though. You know why? BECAUSE THE BALLOONS KEPT DEFLATING!!!!! When I originally did ALL MY EXPERIMENTS on the string ball thingies a while ago, balloon deflating wasn’t even on the list of “things to think about while attempting this project.” It didn’t happen. Once. I did two balloons first with the drudging through the glue process and by the next morning, the balloons were half the size and the string was all droopy. The next day I did two more with the brush-on glue technique AND THE BALLOONS DEFLATED AGAIN! I’ve got a new batch of balloons now, so hopefully it was just the bag. Maybe some doucher poked a tiny hole in every single balloon in some random bag of balloons at Party City. Little did he know he’d bring a girl to her knees in exasperation.
Third – my blog re-do hates me. Ok, that’s not true, but the rule of three… I honestly feel sorry for the nice girl who is helping me with the blog. I change my mind so much that I can only imagine how stressed she must have been (or may still be). Especially when you only give someone a few words/colors/fonts and send them on their merry way to build your dream. Needless to say, I changed my mind about a thousand times and just ended up making my own header to send her which she wonderfully tweaked and made awesome. It’s just about done, so hopefully you’ll all be able to see it next week.
My weekend and “vacation” in a nutshell… Ugh (see picture above).